Fans of Anita Baker and Babyface were disappointed to learn that the latter will not be joining the former on her upcoming The Songstress Tour. The tour, which is supposed to be Baker’s farewell to the music industry, was announced earlier this year with Babyface as one of the special guests.
However, according to a statement released by Baker’s management, Babyface had to withdraw from the tour due to “unforeseen scheduling conflicts”. The statement also said that Baker and Babyface “remain great friends and collaborators” and that they “hope to work together again in the future”.
The tour will still feature other notable artists such as Toni Braxton, Kem, and Ledisi. The tour will kick off on July 1 in Los Angeles and will visit 25 cities across North America until October 17. Tickets are still available on Baker’s official website and other platforms.
Baker, who is widely regarded as one of the most influential R&B singers of all time, has won eight Grammy Awards and sold over 30 million records worldwide. She is best known for her hits such as Sweet Love, Giving You the Best That I Got, and Body and Soul. She announced her retirement from music in 2018, but later decided to do one last tour for her fans.
Babyface, who is also a legendary R&B singer, songwriter, and producer, has won 11 Grammy Awards and produced over 26 number-one hits for various artists. He is famous for his songs such as Whip Appeal, When Can I See You, and Every Time I Close My Eyes. He also collaborated with Baker on her 1994 album Rhythm of Love, which spawned the duet Like You Used to Do.
According to the official website of Anita Baker, here are the dates and venues for her The Songstress Tour:
- Feb 11, 2023 – Hollywood, FL @ Hard Rock Live
- Feb 14, 2023 – Atlanta, GA @ State Farm Arena
- Feb 17, 2023 – New Orleans, LA @ Smoothie King Center
- May 10, 2023 – Newark, NJ @ Prudential Center
- May 12, 2023 – Long Island, NY @ UBS Arena
- May 14, 2023 – Baltimore, MD @ CFG Bank Arena
- June 30, 2023 – Chicago, IL @ United Center
- July 02, 2023 – Detroit, MI @ Pine Knob Music Theatre
- Nov 18, 2023 – Greensboro, NC @ Greensboro Coliseum Complex
- Nov 22, 2023 – Memphis, TN @ FedEx Forum
- Nov 24, 2023 – Atlantic City, NJ @ Hard Rock Live at Etess Arena
- Dec 15, 2023 – Houston, TX @ Toyota Center
- Dec 17, 2023 – Dallas, TX @ American Airlines Center
- Dec 22, 2023 – Los Angeles, CA @ Crypto.com Arena
- Dec 23, 2023 – Oakland, CA @ Oakland Arena
However, it seems that Babyface will not be joining her on the tour anymore due to some issues with his fan base. According to some news reports, Baker said she has removed Babyface from the tour after “silently enduring cyberbullying” from his fans. She also said that she and Babyface are still friends and collaborators.
About Anita Baker
Anita Baker is an American singer-songwriter who rose to fame in the 1980s with her distinctive blend of soul, jazz, and gospel music. She has been praised for her powerful vocals, emotional delivery, and sophisticated style. She has influenced many artists such as Beyoncé, Alicia Keys, John Legend, and Adele. She is also a humanitarian who supports various causes such as education, health, and social justice. She lives in Detroit with her two sons.